Tag Archives: CMS

Beta testing continues…

I announced the start of Pyplate beta testing on the Raspberry Pi forum.

I’ve had a little feedback already, and so far it’s been mostly positive. There was an issue with some scripts that didn’t have the right permissions, but I’ve fixed that now.

I’ve also posted an article on my Raspberry Pi site about installing Pyplate on a Pi.

Advertisements

Heading towards beta testing

I’m still tweaking and tuning my CMS in preperation for beta testing. I’ve ironed out most of the bugs, and the CMS works pretty smoothly now.
I’ve added the CKeditor to the editor page. It’s a Javascript rich text editor that can be embedded in pages to create a tool bar in text areas.

CKEditor in Pyplate UI

CKEditor in Pyplate UI

I considered using Tiny MCE – they both seem pretty good. For the moment, I’m happy with CKEditor.

I’ve added character checking on UI input fields for file and directory names. I limited the choice of characters to A-Z, a-z, 0-9 and these symbols: space . _ – This is a bit restrictive. The main objective is to prevent people from using characters that shouldn’t be used in file names. I definitely need to prevent people from using slashes in file names, other wise they could choose a file name like ../../../somepath. This could potentially allow people to overwrite files outside of the CMS.

There’s now a mechanism for uploading themes. Themes consist of a file named theme.css and layouts.py in a directory named after the theme. For the Minimal theme, there’s a folder called /usr/share/pyplate/themes/Minimal. Themes are uploaded as a zip file, and then unpacked into the themes directory. The zip file is copied to Pyplate’s backup directory in case you want to reinstall the theme.

I still need to write some more articles about how Pyplate works, and I need to write a few how-to articles. The next steps are to update the settings on my reverse proxy so that my site is accessible from the internet. Then I can start beta testing…

I’ve set up an installation script for my CMS

I’ve written an installation script to make it easier for people to download and install my CMS. The script generates a temporary password, so I’ve also added a page in the admin area to set a new admin username and password. At the moment it’s only possible to store credentials for one user. In future versions I’ll add support for multiple users, and instead of storing the credentials in a text file, I’ll store them in the database.

I’ve been working on setting up a forum so that people can ask questions about the software. I installed MyBB with SQLite, but it doesn’t work very smoothly. I’ve looked for information on the MyBB forum, and it seems that it doesn’t work well with SQLite. Aparently it’s because PHP doesn’t work well with SQLite. So I need to reinstall MyBB with MySQL.

Currently posts need to be written in raw HTML. I’ve experimented with Tiny MCE, a Javascript editor that’s used in other CMSs like WordPress. Using the demo version I had problems with escaping HTML characters, so I need to figure out how to fix that.

After that, I need to Work out some licensing stuff. GPL, MIT or BSD? There are other licenses, but these are the main contenders.

Finally I need to update the settings in my reverse proxy so that I can get my new site on line. Then I can begin beta testing my CMS.

Two more themes for my CMS

I’ve written two more themes for my CMS.  I’m quite pleased with these, I think they’re kinda funky.

Carbon theme

Carbon theme

Edge theme

Edge theme

I’m still working on documentation for the CMS, and I hope to have the site on line in the next few weeks.

 

Progress with my Python CMS

I’m in the process of setting up a web site dedicated to myPython CMS.  I’ve setup the software (Apache 2.4.6, SQLite and my CMS) , built a theme, and I’ve written several pages describing how the CMS works. Every CMS needs a forum where users can ask questions, so I’ve also installed myBB and set up a forum.

The site isn’t ready to go live yet. I need to write some how-to documents, and a few pages explaining how to set up the CMS and use its admin area. I also need to do a fair amount of work on the CMS before it’s ready for release.

It may be several months bfore I can release a beta version, and two/three months after that until I can release a completed version of the CMS. This is a big problem because it will be months before I make any money from my new site. I’m probably going to need to use a crowd funding campaign to raise money so that I can continue to develop this software.

The latest version of my CMS is now live

I’ve reached an important milestone with my CMS. I’ve finished integrating SQLite, and developed the backend to a point where it’s pretty usable. It’s stable, and with caching enabled, performance is exactly the same as before. In fact, even without page caching, it’s still quite fast.

This morning I backed up the site and synced it with the cluster, so the new version of my CMS is now live on Raspberry Web Server. I’ve updated the theme, but apart from that there’s no visible sign that the site is different. Press shift F5 is you’re still seeing the old theme.

 

Screenshots of my web UI

These screen shots are of the back end of my CMS:

Status page

Status page

List posts

List posts

Add a page

Add a page

Add a category

Add a category

Site settings

Site settings

Change the theme

Change the theme

This UI is still in development, so some debug messages are visible in some of these screen shots.